Wednesday, April 20, 2011

One Dress, Two Dress



Jacelyn:

School is done! I handed in all three papers, but I'm pretty sure my brain was floating somewhere above my body so I didn't quite hear the angels singing as I walked out of my last class, but wow, does it ever feel good! I have my last exam in two weeks, and then I will be officially ready to get a job as an EA!

Ok... wedding dresses. As of a few weeks ago, I became a two dress bride. I had been unaware that this was an epidemic until a few months ago, but apparently in the wedding world, it's not terribly uncommon. Girls buy a dress, change their minds and go out to buy a new one. Pretty frivolous, I thought. I won't throw my money around like that. Well, let's back up to the summer of '09. James was in Africa. We were falling in love, but not saying anything definite on the subject just yet. I was on holiday with my family in Vernon and in one of the little dress shops downtown, I tried on a pretty wedding dress for a laugh. It was perfect. It looked very much like this. (James, don't follow these links :) I loved the detail of it and how it was so unique. I ended up going back to Vernon a week later to buy it and I've been picturing myself wearing it ever since.

Fast forward to March when I decided to go wedding dress shopping with all my girls. I told them (and myself ) that this was just for fun, one of those quintessential experiences that every bride must have. We all trooped into the salon laughing and chattering, picking up dresses left, rght and center. It felt like I tried on a hundred (included one chosen by my little sister that made me look like a snowbeast). It was so much fun. Then it happened. The consultant zipped me into one of the last dresses and told me that it was much too old, that it belonged on a 40 year old bride. She put me on the pedestal and tucked in the straps (to make it younger, she said), turning it into a sweetheart neckline and everyone gasped. The consultant proceeded to tie a satin sash around my waist and when I looked at my reflection, I was stunned. I felt like a bride. She wanted me to buy it that day, but I was so confused I just wanted to go home. It took me long time to come to a decision, during which there were a few tears for feeling like I was betraying the other dress, but eventually it came down to how I wanted to look on my wedding day.

So there you have it. I ended up finding THE dress (with a much less hideous sash than the one pictured), and I'm happy. I suppose the original dress can go up on craigslist, although a friend suggested doing a Trash the Dress photosession, which would be a blast! Anyway, the planning continues in earnest!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:47 am , Blogger M.R. Tumnus said...

Jacelyn, you would look beautiful in many different styles of dresses with your figure. So glad you made the big decision and so happy that you feel like the gorgeous bride you will be on your special day. XO

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home