Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Eureka! A new? dice system?

I think I've got it, by George!
Yesterday at work was a stupendously boring day, which I don't mind of course for it gives me much to mull. Let us see if I can recall the thought process that brought this idea about...

Jacelyn and I have been buying up old books from thrift stores, as part of our decorating theme for the wedding, and we've come across some real gems. About a week ago I got her a 109 year old copy of The Hound of the Baskervilles (a 1st edition would only be 110 yo), and we've got about 3 copies of Water Babies all deliciously gilded and imprinted, things of that nature. Well, let me try to be more concise. This past weekend we scored about 14 books, 9 or so of which are eligible for our theme, among those 14 were a nice hardback copy of The Wind in the Willows and a full-colour softcover of Stuart Little.

In thinking idly how fun it would be to have children so that we could read such awesome books to them, I thought of how similar those character are/would be to characters in the Flora RPG that I've been on-and-off working on (all being anthropomorphised animal characters). Then I thought of how children might view RPGs and how their imaginations might help to create a world truly unexpected. How we might take a family trip to New York to visit Central Park, the setting of it all, and how much fun we would have altogether. But then I thought of the dice system I wished to use, the d100 system just like Warhammer, and how unsuitable it would be to younger players, how basic and non-interactive it would seem to those energetic minds. Then I came up with a new dice system, full of risks and rewards and a undulating dice pool that gives control over odds to the player. I explained it to my roommate last night merely to get it from brain to tongue, and I also wrote it down on paper so I would not forget.


But alas, it seems I have no more time and must, indeed, must quickly become ready for work. I will post again as soon as I am able, divulging some of the secrets and keeping my fingers crossed that it hasn't been done before. Until then, thank you for reading.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:35 am , Blogger M.R. Tumnus said...

How fun - looking for old books together. Do you have close to the number you need? I Love thrift store shopping mostly when I have a goal of what I am looking for in mind. It is going to be an adventurous wedding! XO

 
At 8:33 am , Blogger Unknown said...

I believe we have about 70 usable books, out of a need of 73 for the guest tables and however many we want at the head table.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home