Saturday, July 28, 2007

Norge

Welcome to Norway!! We flew into Oslo, kinda, and took a nice bus trip to Oslo proper, funny story that. I think I ate horse meat in the airport. We then took a train to As (don't have the correct type of "a" to make it phonetically appropriate). As is where Cherie's friend Gunhild lives, she met us at the train terminal in Oslo with her boyfriend Gunstien, he's cool.



So this is the house that a Norseman built, I assume, I didn't see any vikings, just a few cairns that Gunstien pointed out to me. This house is about 200 years old, it was a farmhouse, now it is a house for Gunhild and her roommate Ingvil, they were nice enough to let us stay.




Bikes, they like to ride them all over the place in Norway, especially, I think, in As. Many of the people here rent out rooms and small houses to the students going to the university. It is a small town and has a nice country town feel to it. But of course the universal truth applies here too: Students are poor, most don't have cars, so they ride bikes.


I like this sunset shot, the spiders silk in the grass is my favorite part. Norway reminds me of home a bunch, except that there are no huge mountains looming in the back of every shot. Green, and rolling hills, clean air and birds singing, I miss it a bit.


Gunhild and Gunstien took us to Oslo one day to look at the viking ships that had been unearthed and put on display. There were three of them, I learned a whole bunch, it was really cool, I would have liked to be a viking.


A tabletop condiment fairly common for breakfast or lunch, it was explained that it wasn't like the expensive Russian caviar. I didn't try it, but I did like the brown cheese, and corn on pizza is not bad, go ahead and try it sometime. And kebabs, ohhhh, sure it cost us near $12, but it was worth it, even just to watch them make it. Somebody needs to start a kebab stand here.

Oh, btw Heidi, Norway was my most favorite place on this trip, actually my second most favorite place in the entire world! I will of course be posting more pics of this place soon :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:54 pm , Blogger Jennifer said...

They had corn on pizza in China too.

 
At 9:00 am , Blogger heidi said...

and in england too. LOVE these pictures of norway, makes me want to go out there. more, please! :)

 
At 8:44 pm , Blogger lil said...

Wow! I just enjoyed all the pictures from your trip with Cherie!! They are awesome, and it's fun that you posted only a few at a time!! Glad you had such a memorable trip, and hope you can make many more in your lifetime!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home