Sunday, May 10, 2009

Travesty

Yes. I have just come from witnessing a travesty. I was so appalled by it that I thought immediately of writing of it. This will be short, however, due to my shift starting in a few short minutes.

No it was not a genocide. It was a gamecide. I just watched the latter parts of a 13 round game of Risk. No joke. 4 players, 2 of them new, one of them Dutch. Now Ben, do not become angry with me for insinuating that your countrymen are responsible, you cannot help it. You're cool by me, just so you know.

It started with a horrific modification, a paring down as it were, of the basic, civilized, standard rules of Risk. And from there is dragged on in a more painful fashion than any of the frankenstien versions I have had the pleasure to playtest. Those even have the excuse of being testable, admitting their potential for flaws and getting over it. This, this was brutal. And it is apparently the way it is always played, no leeway for change, or acceptance of brokeness. Argh.

It's not even that I like Risk all that much that I feel compelled to defend it, but I must speak out in this case; At the very least play with the full set of standard rules, no less, please. I can't even really get into it right now, my brain feels like a cat jumped on it, a mean cat. Ok, my rant is done, ask me later for the horrific details if you must.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:58 am , Blogger Denise said...

Good Morning :)

Just thought I should let you know that your friends at HOJ are keeping tabs on you. Praying that all is going well and you are liking your new 'job'

Have a great week!!

Denise

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home