Saturday, May 02, 2009

My new residence

I cannot say that Africa is my new home. Home is a place that you are comfortable in, I used to say that home is where the toilet seat is most comfortable. Others say home is where your heart is. My home is then back in a cozy little town on a hill above a river in the midst of a temperate rainforest. I miss home.

Homesickness? more like heartache, from all the way over there, yeah, I know.

I am a crewmember of AFM. A receptionist, I get to put these black sleeves on the epaulets of my white shirt, the sleeves have gold embroidery, crossed quills. I guess that's appropriate. The novelty of this glory wore off quickly.

I should really have pictures to post here for everyone, but I haven't gotten around to taking many. I ran through my camera battery on the plane looking at stored pictures, I just recharged it. I am on deck 2, or my cabin is. That's right above the tanktop, which is the lowest, hottest, noisiest deck. There are 8 decks total, though deck 8 is just a weather deck, which means it is exposed. They don't call the beds Racks, or even Bunks, they call them Berths. I call them Racks. It doesn't look much like the Battlestar Galactica inside, it's mostly white and green, instead of the nice utilitarian grey. There are a few watertight doors, but none of them have wheel seals, just dog-ears. It does feel like I imagine being on a starship would feel. The vibrations are constant, even though we are in port, the generators must run all the time for the lights and A/C. The climate is controlled and air is recycled just as it would need to be in space. The water tastes scrubbed, but better than the awful water in Texas, my hair is doing alright. And there are not many windows, at least not on my deck, so it feels like the containment I would imagine in space. Even the windows here on deck 6, the big ones, feel like feeble imitations to me, the sun and the clouds mix the light so that from anywhere but close up they appear as white lights, I guess that is the opposite of the blackness one would see in space, but when it gets down to it it's a minor difference.

I don't know what to think yet, I am very adaptable, but I don't want to fit in. It's not that I have to make a concious effort to not fit in, I'm just not putting forth any effort to. Books, headphones, laptop, all are my hidden coves of refuge from everyone here. I'm sure that after a while I will discover that there are people who I get along with, but I am not seeking it, why?

I'm not telling. We'll just have to see if God is going to shake me up and make me, or if He can teach me what lesson I need to be taught without the ease of such confidants.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:14 am , Anonymous Mark K said...

Hey James,
Don't be too had on yourself in regards to fitting in or whatever. You are in a bit of an adjustment period. You probably just need some time to take everything in and process it, before you really settle in and open up. Thanks for the update, we're praying for you. God brought you there for a reason and has great things in store for you!

 
At 9:31 am , Blogger heidi said...

i'm so glad you're blogging. mom forwarded me the email you (finally) wrote her, so it was nice reading more details. praying for you every day. and, like mark said, this first "adjustment period" will pass. i can totally empathize with your unwillingness to socialize. i told josh that you remind me of him in some ways; at capernwray, he was always the one holed up with a book or earphones or paper and a pen. and yet some how, some way God sure shook him up and taught him plenty, as He will with you. Be available to God in lieu of being available to people right now. you can't go wrong with that.

love you

 
At 5:17 pm , Blogger M.R. Tumnus said...

Praying you soon get to the "enjoyment" stage of this adventure. I like your spaceship analogy. Think about you alot. XO

 
At 10:05 am , Blogger lil said...

Yep, hang in there, James! There are alot of adventures in store for you! I really hope you 'move' with the ship sometime and can experience that excitement!
I'll pray that you find a special friend that you can share your feelings with, one that will empathize with you and that you can be accountable to!
God bless

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home