Saturday, May 10, 2008

Arbour Day

Well, I don't know how much I should post about my job, but today was momentous, in a way, maybe, to some people, maybe.

Today, or really yesterday (cause it's Saturday now), was Arbour day in the city, my city (I don't put it's name there because then google will show this post to whoever searches those words, you all know where anyway). I was selected for an elite unit of children dealers-withers, we assisted and instructed a large number of younglings in the planting of Hemlock and Douglas Fir saplings. I doubt many, if any, will survive a month (saplings, not children). I was a team leader, leader of team #1, I had a walkie-talkie, and a bright shiny vest, and a button which I got to keep.

I don't even know where to start, I guess I already did as this is the third paragraph. So we planted trees. I got "interviewed by a reporter, he took my name and my department down, and my picture I think. He had good timing, he got me in my best presentation (as the team leader I had/chose to give the kids a bit of an education about planting trees and stuff) I asked for a volunteer and this cute little girl, grade 2 I think, immediately put up her hand, so she helped me demonstrate how we plant the tree, and then got stung by stinging nettle, lol. I can still feel the bumps on my own fingers.

I have to admit I had my reservations about the whole activity, seemed to be a bit last minute to me. We got in early and had to drag yards and yards of blackberry vines out of the way so we could plant easier, k-5, not a very tough group for certain. And the amount of saplings they wanted in that little park, we had over 1000, but they fit, if a bit tighter than realistically possible in a healthy environment. So that was my day, my throat was a bit sore, I had to yell to groups, of sometimes 60 kids, essentially a stones throw away from the highway. and it was fairly non-stop, I wouldn't have been as weary had I weed-wacked all day, I wonder how those two guys did anyway...

Ok, now off to a more important message before bed, yes loyal readers it is sad, you are not the most important thing in the world to me, I mean, I feel that this relationship is so one-way, you know?

;)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:41 am , Blogger M.R. Tumnus said...

Hey, maybe you've found your calling, son - teaching younguns! The apple doesn't fall far from mama's tree now, does it? Love.
PS Yes, it can be tiring.

 
At 7:55 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/18875854.html

They messed up with the picture, but this one has Mark in it :) We're famous.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home