Thursday, March 08, 2007

This is Kotei Season

It is here, it is early this year, it has been here for a while now. I was looking through my deck today, picking out cards that need to be replaced, and proxies of cards that I need to get, good luck. This is my first Kotei playing my true Clan, the Phoenix. Last year in Vancouver I played the Mantis Clan, and this year in Seattle I played the Shadowlands.

I started playing L5R back in Diamond Edition, a few sets in. Aaron and I looked at all the starters left in the display box, and he chose the Dragon Clan, the one I wanted, so I took the Phoenix Clan. They were similar enough for me to be intrigued by both. The Dragon are the enigmatic mystics that live at the top of a mountain and speak in riddles. The Phoenix are their neighbours, pacifists governed by an Elemental Counsel instead of a Champion. What really drew me into the clan was the awesome destructive power of their many spells, especially Kuro's Fire! I could sit back and gain honour every turn and never attack, simply wait for my opponents to come to me, then, Wham! You all burn. It was great fun.

Now it nears the end of the Lotus Edition, and begins with the new Samurai Edition. Things are stirring in Rokugan, the Emporer is dead and the Khan, Moto Chagatai, Champion of the Unicorn Clan, seeks the throne for himself. If you didn't know already, L5R is an interactive storyline CCG, we, the players, have a say in the future of our environment through the choices we make when playing tournaments, participating in the RPG, and interacting with the worldwide community of players. It is very unlikely that I will have any direct say in the choices made at this years Kotei here in Vancouver, I hope to win some games though, and merely watching the movers and shakers decide characters fates is exhilarating. Last year Patrick was runner up with the Unicorn Clan, Bryan Reese won, but since Pat conceded the final game he let him choose the story prize. The Unicorn Clan had already enlightened 3 personalities for that half of the season so he was allowed to choose a member of another clan to become enlightened, he chose Isawa Sawao of the Phoenix. Thanks Pat!

If by chance I win this year, out of all the options I have to choose from, land, influence, opposing the Khans bid for the throne, and supporting his bid, I will most assuredly choose to support the Khan, to repay the favor Pat showed to my clan. But I'm sucks, so I will not have that choice.

I just finished a 1lb bag of licorice, so I must rest.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home